Registered members don't see ads. Please CLICK HERE to register, its FREE!,
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Supporting Member

What intakes are the best swap for the L31 daily driver?

I'm in the middle of putting a new L31 crate motor in my truck (2000 K2500 CCSB). I had the trans freshened up too. I've been up grading what I can, but not the intake. I've seen a few put the TPI on, and some others have done the marine swap. I'd really like to do that, but those intakes are impossible to find. I've seen some carbed style EFI intakes too. I'm wondering which one might be lowest maintained after the swap, and most dependable.

My truck is a daily driver for the most part, and I use it to haul stuff from Central TX, to OK from time to time. I don't push the RPM's to 5500, and I already have a TPI setup with SLP runners and rear fed fuel rails, so I'm leaning toward this after my 411 swap. I'd just need to buy the Vortec TPI base.

I'm just looking for opinions. I've got to finish this job with the current intake for now..........

Thanks,

Scott.

Super Moderator HellKnightHicks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AeroSS View Post
    I'm in the middle of putting a new L31 crate motor in my truck (2000 K2500 CCSB). I had the trans freshened up too. I've been up grading what I can, but not the intake. I've seen a few put the TPI on, and some others have done the marine swap. I'd really like to do that, but those intakes are impossible to find. I've seen some carbed style EFI intakes too. I'm wondering which one might be lowest maintained after the swap, and most dependable.

My truck is a daily driver for the most part, and I use it to haul stuff from Central TX, to OK from time to time. I don't push the RPM's to 5500, and I already have a TPI setup with SLP runners and rear fed fuel rails, so I'm leaning toward this after my 411 swap. I'd just need to buy the Vortec TPI base.

I'm just looking for opinions. I've got to finish this job with the current intake for now..........

Thanks,

Scott.
    Ive got a marine intake for sale... Its got a little rust on it needs some love and all of the mods.

The Ram jet intake by Edlebrock is a good option as well.
    If it broke the first time put something better back. If there's nothing better make something.

1996 C1500 3 door, bed cover, 2/3 drop 20"s.
    1997 K1500 X Cab, {The Road Warrior}, Only thing stock is the frame and body ;)

www.prosilversystems.com

I'd do the tpi. Fuel rails shouldn't be an issue just get some universal or mod what ya got. The only good reason for doing a marine is if your gonna run a Whipple or something that needs the tb in the stock location.

03 K2500HD,8.1 (496), Allison Trans, Wanted:Steering Wheel Buttons with DIC, Bucket Seats, Fog Light Bumper, Whipple Coming Soon

97 K1500,383, 4L60E, Whipple, Stock 14 Bolt with 3.73, EFILive V2, 0411,2 BAR MAP, Marine Intake, #42 Injectors, H-Boost, LC-1 wideband,

68 K10, 350, Edelbrock carb & Performer intake, MSD, LT Headers, Bent Frame Out To Pasture

55Chev 3100 Series, C4 Independent Front And Rear Suspension, Work Outa Progress,

Supporting Member
    I don't have to have the TB in the stock location. I've got everything as far as the fuel line connections. I modded the rails to feed from the rear like a TBI truck. It's in a Monte SS that I never finished due to a move.

I just have to pull it.

I'd rather have a marine intake over a TPI. I'd rather have 9" runners vs. 21" runners.

There are Edelbrock and Holley intakes out there as well. But it all depends what you want. If you want to have to fab an air intake assembly or use the stock L31 air intake or any aftermarket parts built for the L31.

You should see the torque curve with an marine intake, it really more of a line, with 323rwhp/336 rwtq being the result. And that is through a 4l80e, 14 bolt rear through LT1 Camaro cast exhaust manifolds with a small 4x4 CompCam 258/262 dur/ advertised 206/210 dur@0.050" 0.458"/0.458" lift 110 lsa grind p/n 08-409-8

I found it

I did do a TPI 355 LT4 hotcam kit on an L31 engine, and using the SDPC TPI/Vortec conversion lower $400,plus $399 SLP larger siamesed runners, it still got wheezy up top.

I dunno, I;m just not a fan off TPI, lots of aluminum with long runners. At the drags under the hood of an 85 IROC the underhood temp really got to the TPI and varied time. They do make killer mid range torque though, and they look cool.

When it comed down to it, whetever gets rid of teh stock intake and poppets is a plus for the engine IMO. Even taking the internal injector tubes and poppets out of the equation, the internal shape of the intake is shaped better that the stock aluminum intake.

I run iron heads, so the lower iron manifold is a plus for me. Much less rolling of the intake gaskets as the expansion differential isnt there.

Oh snap, I just read that you already have teh TPI and the same runners. Then yes, pay the $400 for the lower and go. Just be ready to do some fandangling with the TPI/Vortec base. I had about 4 hours of drilling, matching tapping into my SDPC lower. But it was one of their 1st ones. I have heard they are better now. Emjoy the torque that the TPI provides. It will work nicely in your heavier truck.

I bet that cam That I mentioned above, would work great in your engine as well.

Sorry I didnt read properly the 1st time. But I left my other opinons in place for others to read. The marine intake did feed performance 383 marine engines as well, it does have its place.

peace
    Pauly

I wish I could see that dyno go a little lower. What's the diff between the low run and the high run?
    '98 K1500 ECSB 5.7/4L80E/14BSF 4.10/G80, Longtubes and single 3" Magnflow tuned with EFILive. Whipple, 411, marine intake, and LT1 cam that'll probably never get installed.
    '04 Z06 Vette, pretty much stock.
    '93 Camaro Z28, CMC Race car.

I think hell like the torque of the tpi in a truck. Most truck guys arent looking for the 6000rpm sweet spot. But like pauly said anything is better than stock

03 K2500HD,8.1 (496), Allison Trans, Wanted:Steering Wheel Buttons with DIC, Bucket Seats, Fog Light Bumper, Whipple Coming Soon

97 K1500,383, 4L60E, Whipple, Stock 14 Bolt with 3.73, EFILive V2, 0411,2 BAR MAP, Marine Intake, #42 Injectors, H-Boost, LC-1 wideband,

68 K10, 350, Edelbrock carb & Performer intake, MSD, LT Headers, Bent Frame Out To Pasture

55Chev 3100 Series, C4 Independent Front And Rear Suspension, Work Outa Progress,

Quote Originally Posted by Whipped383 View Post
    I think hell like the torque of the tpi in a truck. Most truck guys arent looking for the 6000rpm sweet spot. But like pauly said anything is better than stock
    Well you say that, but that dyno above with the Marine intake appears to make more torque from an idle and then continue to pull all the way to 6000. Talk about having your cake and eating it too.
    '98 K1500 ECSB 5.7/4L80E/14BSF 4.10/G80, Longtubes and single 3" Magnflow tuned with EFILive. Whipple, 411, marine intake, and LT1 cam that'll probably never get installed.
    '04 Z06 Vette, pretty much stock.
    '93 Camaro Z28, CMC Race car.

Quote Originally Posted by Supercharged111 View Post
    I wish I could see that dyno go a little lower. What's the diff between the low run and the high run?
    The difference was a locked vs unlocked TC.
    It would be tough to dyno an auto truck below the indicated 2200rpm. The only time you would be undr 2200rpm would be at cruise at light throttle in OD, the torque converter doesnt stall lower than 2200rpm at WOT.

peace
    PAuly
    Last edited by Pauly; November 17th, 2013 at 10:25 AM.

Super Moderator HellKnightHicks's Avatar
    If we're taking throttle bodys vs vortec... vortec kicks ass alt the way I'd never tbi
    If it broke the first time put something better back. If there's nothing better make something.

1996 C1500 3 door, bed cover, 2/3 drop 20"s.
    1997 K1500 X Cab, {The Road Warrior}, Only thing stock is the frame and body ;)

www.prosilversystems.com

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast